Skip to main content

Winter Solstice 2017: Remembering Black Elk

The book, Black Elk Speaks, as seen
on Amazon.com
This year, as the winter solstice graces us, we're initiating the celebration of the new solar year by reviewing Black Elk and John G. Neihardt's Black Elk Speaks (1932).Winter solstice marks the longest evening of the solar year and occurs during the final quarter of Wanícokan Wi*or the Moon When the Deer Shed their Antlers. On the Gregorian calendar, that's on or near the 22nd of December.


Remembering with Nebraska


Black Elk, a holy man of the Oglala Lakota, saw his vision in the Black Hills region west of Nebraska. During the Waníyetu Wi, or the Moon of the Rutting deer, the Nebraskan reading program, One Book One Nebraska (OBON), announced its 2017 selection: John G. Neihardt's Black Elk Speaks. OBON aims to demonstrate ...

"... how books and reading connect people across time and place. Each year, Nebraska communities come together through literature in community-wide reading programs to explore a classic work by one of Nebraska’s best-loved authors." (OBON 2017)

The announcement comes while the Lakotas and many others prepare to meet the new solar year from the blustery Oceti Sakowin Water Protector Camp. There the Standing Rock Sioux, descendants of the Lakotas of Black Elk's times, protest the black snake known as the Dakota Access Pipeline.

Temazcaleros Remember Black Elk

Temazcaleros, or people who go to temazcales, organize, as did many Native Americans before the Wasichu invasion, an annual sun dance and vision quest. Many also honor other events, celebrations, and traditions, including some that were not part of the Lakota traditions. The degree to which individual temazcal guides adhere to Lakotan traditions varies from circle to circle.

In my case, the couple, Oso Mario and Osa Lety (the Bear, Mario and the Bear, Lety), mentored me in the Circulo de los Osos (Circle of the Bears), on the foothills above the city of Durango, Mexico. There, Oso Mario frequently reminded us of the traditions of the Lakota's inipi (sweat lodge). From their teachings, I have a basic understanding of the relationship between the Mexican temazcal and the Lakotan inipi.

These traditions, revitalized in Mexico, as part of a Renacimiento del Temazcal, or Temazcal Revival (literally, rebirth), gave rise to a new tradition of teaching and practicing the traditions of the “Chanku Luta,” or Red Road, through the temazcal and other Native American and Native Mexican** traditions. As I understand the "Renancimiento," the popularity of Black Elk Speaks and some other factors of the mid-Twenieth Century gave birth to the post-Conquista (post-Conquest) .

"We base our temazcal ceremony on what we know of Black Elk and the Lakota traditions," Oso Mario told me. Black Elk spoke of the inipi (Lakota sweat lodge) to Neihardt. He extensively described, to Joseph Epes Brown (1953), the ways of the inipi. Three thousand kilometers (about 1,800 miles) south of his homelands, and half a century after the holy man's death, the Temazcaleros of Durango, Mexico, on the interior slope of the Sierra Madre Occidental, honor Black Elk and the Lakota way.




Why "Black Elk?"

Osa Lety, Oso Mario, and Jeffrey R. Bacon, on the
Vision Quest.

The sweat lodge, actually, goes beyond the traditional Lakotan lifestyle, and, worldwide, many cultures built and used sweat lodges. But Temazcaleros choose, Black Elk Speaks, as a "standard practice" text. Many Temazcaleros, like Oso Mario, consider Black Elk "la autoridad maxima" (the maximum authority) in temazcal practice and ethics.

Aside from the importance of Black Elk's words in the temazcal, I have my own reasons for having decided to review the text at InTheTemazcal.

1. It's a good read! Most simply, Michael Rea (2016), of Schuyler Public Library, touched on one of the simpler and most important reasons ...

"While the book is not without controversy regarding its depiction of Lakota beliefs and culture, it remains a fascinating read and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the settling of the American West, the Great Plains and its people. I cannot imagine a more fitting book for the One Book One Nebraska program."

2. It's well-read. I also know that Black Elk and Neihardt produced one of the continent's most influential philosophical and spiritual texts. I would like very much for people of all cultures and races to know more about Black Elk and the practice of temazcal today. I think this book may help a broad audience connect to this little-known culture.

3. It tells a story I understand. For my likes, the book strikes a note in my interior. I feel, see, hear, taste, and smell Black Elk's words. I think many readers likewise connect readily to Black Elk's word. Along with The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux (Brown and Black Elk 1953) Black Elk Speaks has served, for me, as a gateway into Lakota thought.

4. It tells a story I'd like others to understand. If a spiritual belief system can find a logical solution to the world's problems, the Lakotan philosophy, combined with the Lakotan love for the universe, may run neck and neck with Buddhism as one of the most probable candidates. Black Elk Speaks describes the beginning of the end, and the reader who pays attention will see it full of environmental, ethical, and moral clues as to where we have gone wrong as a gifted, intelligent species on a struggling planet.

5. Temazcaleros know and practice the books words. My brothers and sisters in the Temazcal respect and practice Black Elk's word in the Temazcal, and their enthusiasm and dedication for sharing that information have been the charm that kept my interest. Black Elks narratives undoubtedly make up the most logical starting point for a blog discussing Temazcal.

6. I'm keeping a promise to myself. I have read Black Elk Speaks a number of times now. Each time, I learn something new. I'm keeping a promise to myself to know the text to the best of my ability. The research and study time I put into developing the Black Elk series for InTheTemazcal provides me with the opportunity to keep my promise.

7. I owe it to all my brothers and sisters. If one person reads my posts and decides, as a result, to read Black Elk Speaks or step into a temazcal or Lakotan inipi, I will have opened a gateway to the book and spiritual practice that have provided me the most effective means of assimilating and adapting to a world I poorly understood. I'd like anyone else to have that opportunity.


As the Wiotehika Wi (the hard moon ... our Gregorian January) crosses the sky, we'll take a look at Black Elk Speaks, here, at InTheTemazcal. Thanks for joining us and the whole state of Nebraska!


... con todas mis relaciones!


________________

* Moon names used in this post agree with those reported on the Akta Lakota Museum Cultural Center (2012).
** Although it's commonly known that Mexico is part of the North American continent, I often noted, as a plant taxonomist, back in my days of research, that Mexico and Mexicans often fall aside in reference information. For example, the name, "United States of America," some Mexicans have told me, seems a pompous claim to the continent, when both Mexican and Canadian states are just as rightfully called "States of America." Perhaps it's a triviality, but it's one that many Mexicans have brought to my attention. 




References Cited


Comments

Most Popular Posts InTheTemazcal.

The Element Chant - Tierra Mi Cuerpo

The first time I heard the temazcaleros sing, "Tierra mi Cuerpo," in the Temazcal , I knew that I had heard the song long ago ... somewhere in my childhood. There, though, it bore a name from my native tongue, English. I later remembered that I had learned it as "The Element Song," also known as "The Element Chant." The harmony took me back to a circle around a campfire, and, as it drifted through my mind, I heard its echo from a classroom in the Midwest, ... maybe in Greenwood Elementary School . I know that I have heard a number of versions and interpretations by different artists, in several languages. The song, or chant, ... simple and direct ... verbalizes a very basic relationship between the temazcalero, the human participant in the temazcal ceremony, and the elements of the temazcal: earth, water, air, and fire. In the temazcal, or Mexican steam bath ,  recall, ... in its most basic form, the temazcalero sits on an earthen floor, exposed

What is a Temazcal?

Saunas, steam baths, sweat lodges, and sweat houses have been around for thousands of years. Modern versions of these ancient structures varies with their place of origin, with native Mexicans referring to a traditional sauna as a "temazcal ," native cultures north of Mexico cultures calling it an "inipi " or "kiva," Europeans calling it a "savusauna" or "sudatory," the Chinese calling it "桑拿浴," and the Russians naming it "banya" or "banja." The Mesoamerican Temazcal Many PreColombian Mesoamericans celebrated at least a portion of their spiritual belief system in the steam bath, or "temazcal"  (sometimes anglicized to read, "temascal"). The word comes from Nahuatl, a language family of the ancient Mesoamericans. They called it, "temāzcalli,"  which translates loosely to the "house of heat." Some sources, like Aaland (1997) attribute its origin to the Aztec

Black Elk's "Offering the Pipe Prayer"

Source: Wikimedia Commons "Hey hey! hey hey! hey hey! hey hey!" exclaimed Black Elk, sending a voice, as he offered the mouthpiece of the pipe to the One above (Neihardt 1932). This series of exclamations begins Black Elk's "Offering the Pipe Prayer," which has been reproduced in other books and web pages (e.g., Black Elk, date unknown; Davich 1998; Summers 2011). World Prayers (Black Elk, date unknown) presents the prayer as follows: Black Elk's "Offering the Pipe Prayer" Hey hey! hey hey! hey hey! hey hey! Grandfather, Great Spirit, you have been always, and before you no one has been. There is no other one to pray to but you. You yourself, everything that you see, everything that has been made by you. The star nations all over the universe you have finished. The four quarters of the earth you have finished. The day, and in that day, everything you have finished. Grandfather, Great Spirit, lean close to the earth that you may he